I’ve been on vacation, so here’s a short listicle of a review to capture my thoughts on Certain Dark Things by Silvia Moreno-Garcia. She’s quickly moving up in my must-read authors ranks, as I enjoyed her debut novel Signal to Noise as well. You should know that Certain Dark Things will be officially released on October 25th, 2016. Since Netgalley was so kind as to provide this book blogger / librarian with an ARC, I’m here to tell you that if you like vampires whatsoever, Certain Dark Things needs to be on your hold / pre-order list, STAT.
10 Reasons Why You Should Read Certain Dark Things
- Vampires, but NOT your Buffy, Twilight, True Blood, or whatever vampires.
- Vampires, but culturally interesting, well-thought, various species of vampires.
- Domingo! A charming, affable, if not a little naive, protagonist
- Atl! A charismatic, not affable but still likeable, protagonist whose sidekick is a Doberman
- Gang politics—human gangs, vampire gangs, the usual.
- Prose that keeps you captivated, even through the goriest moments (and oh, there are some gory moments)
- A story rich in believable, sympathetic characters that you’re not sure who you want to win (except for Nick. Never Nick.)
- An AWESOME glossary at the end going into more detail of CDT’s vampiric lore
- A story that constantly turns vampire folklore on its head, poking fun and still reverential of it
It’s a really well-done vampire story, y’all. Thank you, Netgalley, for the ARC!